Friday, May 3, 2013

Dreams do come true!!

 
I DID IT!!!!!!




I seriously don't even know how to express my feelings right now...I really don't. So here's the recap. So starting from the beginning I applied for this "Exercise Coordinator Internship" along with the regular position I received a month ago. The exercise position was considered a "professional internship" -- meaning 40 hours a week, higher pay, etc. and are much, MUCH harder to attain. I anticipated a longer wait and rightfully so as I applied February 8th and I just heard back April 19th.


I finally got an interview with the 2 managers of the fitness center called Lifeline Fitness. It's located in a building specifically for cast members right across from Downtown Disney-- so a busy location! We had a really great conference phone interview and they just basically asked me what I've done between my many jobs. After I talked their ear off, they asked me a few more questions and explained the job description in detail. He said a few times that I would be a great fit for them and that I have what they're looking for. That brought my hopes up a bit; however, I had to keep in mind that I thought over 60 people applied for this position, so regardless, my chances were super slim.

Just some of my class-- how cute are they!
They were very excited that I taught Zumba because they don't hire outside contractors and just have their staff teach whatever is within their certifications and they have never had Zumba before. (Odd.) So I will be teaching that (I'll have to throw in a few Disney songs! Any ideas??), doing health screenings, traveling to other resorts and giving presentations/speeches on health talks, leading lunch-time resort walks, fitness assessments, training clients, etc. I asked what the average class size of the classes were and he said that the most popular one was 9 but in general they average around 4-5. So yes, quite small compared to the 20-30 I regularly taught Zumba too! But that isn't necessarily a bad thing- I'll be able to get to know the participants more and hopefully gain some new ones as it will be new to lots of people there!

And they don't know I do themed classes either ...

I'm going to be down there for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.. can you even imagine the themed classes!?!? :)

So then I got a message to be scheduled for an additional "interview". I didn't think I was supposed to get one for the fitness one, so I assumed it was for one of the others I applied for. My caller ID showed that it was a call from the fitness center, which I thought was odd. So one of the first things the recruiter said was that I could relax and it wasn't an interview and he just wanted to confirm some things. Solid. Deep breath. He then asked me if I was still in college. I replied by saying that I was going to be graduating the following Saturday. His tone of voice raised as he said something like, "Well that is definitely something to celebrate. I think I may also be giving you some news to celebrate even further as we are extending the offer for the exercise coordinator position to you!" Gasp. Slight tear-eyes. Whaaaaaaaaat?! I rarely ever cry, but I'm pretty sure my eyes were filled with happy tears the rest of the conversation.

 Furthering, he asked if I would like to know how the process went of selecting the candidates. Um, yesh. He explained that there were over 100 applicants and that only 2 were receiving the internship.. and I was one of them!! More gasp. I thought mine wasn't as competitive as other business ones, but I was clearly very wrong. He said that even that I had an interview and thought it went well said a lot. He went into more detail of everything else and just knowing that this will be my first full-time job with high pay just tops it right off. The only negative thing I can say so far about it is the hours. As of now he said the 2 interns pick which shifts they would like: 5:30AM - 2PM or 11:30AM - 8:00PM Monday-Friday. Both shifts completely not ideal for obvious reasons but I absolutely cannot complain as I have been given this amazing opportunity and already know I have weekends off! I won't have to leave as early as May 27th either as this one starts in June so officially June 12-January 4th is my time down there.   :)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everyone's continued support. From my friends, internship, work, family, and even strangers -- you don't know how much it truly means to me.

Happy girl.
















Next blog: On networking and how it helped me get the job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment